About Me

My photo
I'm a wife and mom of a 19 year old stepson and 2 little girls ages 5 and almost 7. I was a self-employed real estate appraiser for 12 years and am ready to turn the page and Lord willing go back to school and see what God has next for me. Certainly my highest priority is to attempt to keep the house in order for my dear husband and to savor all the moments I can with my little ones that are growing entirely too fast.

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Best Mom in the World

It's interesting to look back and reflect on what I thought made a mom great BEFORE actually being one.  Since I didn't have children until my late thirties I had plenty of time to observe the things other mothers did and didn't do and I had a whole mental list of things I would NEVER do as a mother.  Didn't we all have those lists?  I'll bet that for many of us the things that topped that list were the things that our own mothers did or didn't do. 

If you had asked me what made a mom great 10 years ago I'm not sure what I would have told you.  Most likely I would have said making great meals (that they would actually eat), taking them to piano lessons, soccer practice, dance class, Karate class and boy or girl scouts without complaining.  (I know now this would be impossible).  I probably would have told you that a good mom takes their children to church to teach them about God and certainly a good mom wouldn't let their children drink soda!!! 

My ideas on what a makes a mom great at this point are very different that they once were.  The funny thing is that what I think makes me a good mom and what my girls think makes me a good mom are completely different too.  Yesterday I was elevated to the status of "best mom in the whole world."  I don't like to brag, but it is true....yesterday in the eyes of my precious Haylee I was in fact the best mom in the world.  I didn't get the title by making her a gourmet meal, or by signing her up for extracurricular activities, or buying her a new toy or better yet an outfit.  What in the world did I do?  She asked me if I would paint her nails and I said yes.  That little girl lit up like a lighthouse and grabbed my leg and squeezed it with more happiness on her face than I thought could fit.  As I was getting my nail polish she must have told me 4 more times that I was the best mom ever.  I loved painting her nails, but not as much as she loved painting mine.  I look at my manicure with its seven different colors thinking that this has to be the best manicure I've ever had and I didn't even have to leave a tip. 

Yesterday I was reminded of an incredibly simple but powerful truth that I forget too often.  My girls don't want "stuff" nearly as much as they want me.  They want my time and attention, they NEED my time and attention.  It's so easy to get caught up in the day to day things that never end.  I painted nails with Haylee while the dishes sat in the sink and the laundry sat in the washer.  I have to remember that the dishes and laundry can wait.  There will ALWAYS be dishes in the sink, but my daughter will not always be four.  Yesterday I chose what was good.  I pray for the wisdom to make many more good choices with the days I've been given. 

2 comments:

  1. SO very well said! My cousin, aunt and I were just talking about this--our houses are quite close to either being declared disaster areas or being highlighted on the next episode of Hoarders--BUT--we have little ones who are more important than clean dishes, overflowing laundry, a vacuumed carpet or mopped floor! Some day we will miss these sloppy kisses, exuberant hugs and playtimes with our babies!
    --PS--I was a much better "grocery store mom" before I became a mom for real too! It's a curse, I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To one of the best daycare teachers in the world, too (well, all of you at KK fall under that category!)--I loved seeing you "giving chase" the other day. I always leave Avery with such a sense of peace. I've had to start leaving him with his inhaler now, and at a time when I 'should' be panicked and worried, I'm not. I know without a doubt, that my son is loved, well cared for and in great hands. I know that should he need his inhaler, every single one of you are so well equipped to handle it. I pray that every mom has this feeling of peace and well being over her children when she leaves them at school, daycare--wherever. All of you at KK are such an amazing blessing to our family. Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete