About Me

My photo
I'm a wife and mom of a 19 year old stepson and 2 little girls ages 5 and almost 7. I was a self-employed real estate appraiser for 12 years and am ready to turn the page and Lord willing go back to school and see what God has next for me. Certainly my highest priority is to attempt to keep the house in order for my dear husband and to savor all the moments I can with my little ones that are growing entirely too fast.

Sunday, December 25, 2011

Christmas Memory

There are so many things to love about Christmas.  Snow, Christmas lights, anticipation of gifts, and of course there is the main reason we remember Christmas...the birth of our Savior.  I'm not going to go on about the obvious appeal of this day.  I wanted to share something.


In 1996, I was living in Maryland and went home to New York for Christmas to celebrate with my family as always.  It was a great time with the family and although I don't have many clear memories about the day there are a few things that I recall with vivid clarity.   Christmas Eve that year I went with my mom and dad to the Salmon Run Mall to get a few last minute things.  I don't remember what we bought, but I remember walking through the mall next to my dad when he suddenly grabbed my hand and held it as we walked from store to store.  I don't remember the temperature that day, but being that it was December in NY I'm sure it was cold....but my heart was filled with such warmth with that loving gesture from my dad.  Thankfully I wasn't embarrassed that my dad wanted to hold my hand....I embraced it.  


This moment was especially memorable because that Christmas was the last time I saw my father.  How precious it is that holding his hand is one of the last memories I have of that wonderful guy!   


I wrote this poem sometime after my father passed away.


                "THE GOODBYE"


The holiday had ended
The festivities were through
You stood at the door, just as before
As I waved goodbye to you.
The goodbye was not forever
The road home was never long,
Soon again I'd be on my way
To the place I'd always belong.


The goodbye was not forever
But it was goodbye from this place
For the Lord had called you home
To see Him face to face.
Words can't say how much I miss you,
But how could I wish you back with me
You're in the arms of our Savior
Where we all so long to be.


For you the festivities have begun
You're no longer standing at the door
Your journey home was not so long
Now you're with your Savior evermore.
Our goodbye was not forever
Together again we will be
In the place where someday I'll belong
Where you'll wave hello to me.


JEM

1 comment: