About Me

My photo
I'm a wife and mom of a 19 year old stepson and 2 little girls ages 5 and almost 7. I was a self-employed real estate appraiser for 12 years and am ready to turn the page and Lord willing go back to school and see what God has next for me. Certainly my highest priority is to attempt to keep the house in order for my dear husband and to savor all the moments I can with my little ones that are growing entirely too fast.

Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Words

Words.  They can be fancy little things can't they?  They sure are useful for communication, and some people use them more (some significantly more) than others.  We use words to express our emotions, our thoughts, our frustrations and our elation.   We use words to make others laugh, and sometimes unfortunately, we use words to make others cry.

I had no intention of writing on this today...I had something else in mind and frankly I'd much rather be writing about that.  However, I felt God nudging me to share this and since He is bigger than me, here we go.  Please excuse the vagueness of this...but when you read it you will understand why it needs to be quite generic.  

A few days ago Brian and I were having a conversation with a gentleman.  We were discussing some issues that we needed some help with and he was very knowledgeable.   We have something in common with this gentleman and that is we both have the same somewhat difficult person in our lives.  The conversation turned to this person and the three of us discussed some things about this person that although true, they didn't need to be said.  There's where the clincher is right there....things don't always need to be said even though they are true.   I'll give you a really quick example.  I lost a lot of weight last year, 47 pounds to be exact.  I have since gained some of it back. Do I look like I have put some weight back on?  Yes.  Do you need to tell me?  NO!!!!  I am WELL AWARE!!!!!  OK...back to the story.   Things were said that really didn't need to be and if I'm being honest about it...it was straight up gossip.  It gets worse.  This gentleman went home and I can only guess that in a private conversation with his wife he discussed the juicy conversation that we had.  His daughter apparently overheard them and went to school and repeated who knows what to her friends.  The difficult person we were discussing also has a daughter in the same school and she overheard all the things that were said about her and her mother.  This little girl was devastated and hurt.

Later that day I got some scathing texts from the mom.  She was in grizzly bear mode, and you know what?  I don't blame her.  She was furious that things were said with children in the midst.  There were no children around when we were having the conversation...but does that mean that Brian and I were less guilty?  NO.  If we wouldn't have said it in front of the children then we shouldn't have said it at all.  

It broke my heart that the spirit of a little girl took a hit partially because of me and my careless words that shouldn't have been spoken.  Thankfully I was able to briefly talk to the little girl and attempt to repair what I could, but there will probably still be a mark.  When children wound each other it hurts, but the wounds are many times little scratches that heal and are never noticed.  I do believe that when adults wound children it cuts much deeper.  It is our job to protect these children.  My responsibility to protect goes beyond my own two little girls. Sadly I failed miserably.  

Every morning I pack Haylee's lunch and every morning I write her a little note and put it in her lunch.  Sometimes it's a simple I love you and sometimes it's a little note of encouragement.  Ironically today I wrote "Be careful of what you say.  Words can be used to help or to hurt.  Be kind."  Clearly that sticky note should have gone over my mouth rather than stuck to her banana.  

Brian and I have both been deeply convicted and have both asked for forgiveness.  Thankfully we serve a God that forgives.  

In the Bible James calls the tongue a "restless evil, full of deadly poison". How true is that?  It's amazing that we can build up and edify with our words and then in the next breath do the exact opposite with equal power.   There is absolutely nothing wrong with words...we love them and we need them, but we have to remember that there is so much power in them and it's our responsibility to use our words carefully.  


Ephesians 4:29 










Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.

James 1:26 

If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person's religion is worthless.

Proverbs 11:13

Whoever goes about slandering reveals secrets, but he who is trustworthy in spirit keeps a thing covered.

1 comment:

  1. These are the lessons we get to learn so God can trust us in the future with the hearts of others. I have had my share of convicting conversations with the Holy Spirit, then the next time the opportunity raises up to repeat the same offense...I am quick to recognize the snare. The enemy likes to use the same trick over and over, just the faces change. Training stinks, but you will be better for it in the end.

    ReplyDelete