About Me

My photo
I'm a wife and mom of a 19 year old stepson and 2 little girls ages 5 and almost 7. I was a self-employed real estate appraiser for 12 years and am ready to turn the page and Lord willing go back to school and see what God has next for me. Certainly my highest priority is to attempt to keep the house in order for my dear husband and to savor all the moments I can with my little ones that are growing entirely too fast.

Monday, June 16, 2014

It's a Bug's Life

We live on a 2.3 acre lot.  It's not huge, but it's a nice size for little girls to explore.  It's nice to be able to kick them outside and know that they will eventually find something to entertain them.  The other day I was watching my 5 year old running around the yard.  I'd look out and she'd be in one spot, then the next time I looked she was on the other side of the yard.  Every few minutes she would holler for me in totally excitement.  "Mama!!!!!  Look what I found!!!" Sometimes it would be a little caterpillar or slug, sometimes it was squirmy little worm (again...we get a lot of those).  It really doesn't matter if it's something that she had found before, today is a new day and a new worm is just plain exciting.  I watched her for a while as she popped from tree to tree, or from rock to rock looking carefully in anticipation of what she might find.  It didn't bother her if it took a while to make a discovery...she knew that if she searched long enough she wouldn't be disappointed.  I don't think she knew exactly what she was looking for, but she knew to expect something, and that was enough to keep her going and it was enough to keep her search strong.  I can tell you, she has never been disappointed.

I started to think about what it means to search with expectation.  I wondered how things might be different for me if I opened up my Bible and searched the way Kerrington searched our yard for treasures.  What if I was to open the Word with expectation not knowing what I would find, but fully trusting that I would find something exciting.  What if I opened my Bible believing with all my heart that I would find treasures and that I would not be disappointed.  

Kerrington COULD kick through the yard and declare that there's nothing there.  She doesn't though because she KNOWS there are all sorts of surprises if she keeps looking.

I know that there have been times that I've gone to my Bible and closed it again in disappointment because I didn't immediately find exactly what I was looking for.  Kerrington has reminded me that the treasures ARE there and when I open my Bible with expectation I will never be disappointed.  Neither will you.  

Psalm 119:105
Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.

Psalm 119:130
The unfolding of your words gives light; it gives understanding to the simple.





No comments:

Post a Comment