About Me

My photo
I'm a wife and mom of a 19 year old stepson and 2 little girls ages 5 and almost 7. I was a self-employed real estate appraiser for 12 years and am ready to turn the page and Lord willing go back to school and see what God has next for me. Certainly my highest priority is to attempt to keep the house in order for my dear husband and to savor all the moments I can with my little ones that are growing entirely too fast.

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Screens

The other day I was sorting through boxes in our garage and I happened to look up at the window and couldn't help but notice all the dirt and bugs on the window sill.  There was a ton of dirt and quite an assortment of bugs that lets just say were not a threat to anyone any longer.   I imagine the bugs were trying to fly out the window but obviously couldn't get past the screen. 

A window sill full of bugs.  Could this possibly take my mind somewhere?  Yup.  Believe it or not it could.  Here's where it takes me.

I chuckled to myself as I pictured a nice big screen over my mouth.  It wouldn't be the most attractive accessory...but my husband might appreciate it!  I've never really been one to get angry and say a bunch of things that I wished I could take back.  Does that mean that I don't have regrets about the things that fly out of my mouth?  Hardly.  It's almost worse because I think about it and decide that it still should be said!!!  I can't even use the excuse that something was said in the heat of the moment.  No....for some bizarre reason I am sometimes under the illusion that I have a right to say what I'm saying because my opinion matters more than someone's feelings.   Those words hurt to even type.  The Bible says that the tongue is a force to be reckoned with and even asks "who can tame it?"  It's not easy, but we CAN learn to control what flies out of our lips.   There are times when we are oversensitive and take more of an offense than we need to...and there are times when words are spoken that are simply hurtful and they cut like a sharp little paring knife.  There is incredible power in our words and we can use them build others up or tear them down and suprisingly the effort required is the same.   There is no screen for our words, but we can pray for wisdom and discernment regarding the things we say and even in the way we interpret what others say.   Lets keep the nasty bugs on the other side of the screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment